Saturday, August 10, 2013

Week 10 - Kale, Cantaloupe, Cucumber


Green smoothies are everywhere.  They are becoming as common as a cup of coffee.  Even people who wouldn't dream of eating kale or spinach can be seen drinking a green smoothie.  Of the varied ways you could prepare kale (and I've given a couple on this blog - Kale with Tamari-Sesame DressingColorful Lemony Kale Sandwiches ), perhaps the easiest is to put it into a smoothie.

I purchased a Vitamix blender more than a year ago and truly, it has been the best appliance I've ever placed on my kitchen counter.  I use it nearly every single day because it makes the whole foods plant based lifestyle so much easier.  But as much as I use it to make fruit smoothies, juice, hummus, salsa, soup, and even sorbet, I had yet to make a green smoothie with it.  So with a half a bunch of kale from week 10 still in my vegetable bin, I decided it was time to tackle the green smoothie and the Vitamix made that a cinch.

The thing with smoothies is that anything goes.  You really can't go wrong with whatever you drop into the blender, but in general, I like to include some fruit as a natural sweetener.  Therefore, this was the perfect time to make my green smoothie since we had received cantaloupe along with the kale.  It is not absolutely necessary to freeze the cantaloupe and banana first (which will take a few hours), but it does make the smoothie thicker and colder.  

So why not jump on the "green smoothie bandwagon" if you haven't already and try this low-fat healthy breakfast or snack.  


Kale and Cantaloupe Smoothie
1 cup almond milk
1 tsp vanilla
1 cup Clarion River Organics Cantalope, cubed and frozen 
1 ripe banana peeled and frozen 
2 cups coarsely chopped Clarion River Organics Kale (tough stems removed before chopping) (about 3 large leaves)
1 cup peeled and sliced Clarion River Organics cucumber

Place all ingredients in a blender in the order listed and blend until smooth (about 1 to 2 minutes with a Vitamix).  Pour into a tall glass and enjoy!  Serves 1 generously.

2 comments:

  1. Hi Sandy, we're loving the blog at CRO! It's awesome seeing our produce put to such good use. This post gives me an idea - we have tons of cantaloupes which just get fed to the pigs because they get cracked or have a little bad spot or something. If we could figure out the technique and the food safety of freezing cubed cantaloupe to sell out of season, would that be of interest to people who are into juicing? I don't do a lot of juicing so don't know if you just use cantaloupe because it's there or if it's something you'd seek out if it were available.

    ReplyDelete
  2. It sounds like a good idea since cantaloupe is one of the most nutritious fruits and many juicing people like to drink it straight. So yes people to seek it out for that reason. The only thing I'm not sure about is how the straight up juice will be after the fruit has been frozen. I'd be willing to experiment a little for you by making some juice both ways (using fresh cantaloupe and then frozen) and see. I do have a high-powered Breville juicer that I can try it on.

    ReplyDelete