Saturday, June 20, 2015

Beet Green Chips

This is my third season as a Clarion River Organics CSA subscriber. I have blogged the previous two summers about my experience as a subscriber and how I have used the produce including recipes.  I don't plan to post nearly as much this summer as I have in the past two for a couple of reasons.  First, I already have more than 60 recipes on this blog giving CRO subscribers lots of ideas for how to use the items received.  Just search in the upper left on any item and you will most likely find what you are looking for.  Second, an illness in my extended family is requiring much of my time at the moment so I am simply not cooking as much or I just use my "go to" recipes already shared on this blog.  For example, given the great bounty of rhubarb we have received I simply made these rhubarb muffins and this rhubarb salad dressing so I wouldn't have to take the time to find new uses.  

That said, I thought I'd pass along this simple idea to use up some of the greens we have been receiving recently.  I have been making simple kale chips since last summer when I devised a fabulously easy way of preparing them based on an appetizer I had at a Marriott hotel in Atlanta (see that post here Kale Chips in Atlanta ).  But given that I am a bit overwhelmed with greens right now and don't like to waste anything I thought I'd use the same prep technique using the beet greens we received last week.  The result?  Fantastic!  They have a richer flavor than the kale chips but take just a bit longer to get crisp.  The patience pays off.  If you like kale chips, then you'll like these!  You can use this same technique for any greens - spinach, collard greens, even the broccoli leaves.


Beet Green Chips 

Beet Greens from the tops of one bunch beets, center  rib removed and torn into 2 inch pieces
Olive oil cooking spray (or 1/2 tbs olive oil)
Salt, pepper to taste


Preheat oven to 275.  Line two cookie sheets with parchment paper to make clean up easy (optional).  Spread torn beet greens on two cookie sheets.  Don't worry about overcrowding them.  They will shrink as they bake and will not stick together.  Spray beet greens with olive oil to coat (or toss with the olive oil).  Sprinkle on salt and pepper to taste.  Bake on cookie sheets for 18 minutes switching the sheets on the oven racks half way through cooking time.  Serves 2 as a snack/appetizer.


Spread beet greens on two cookie sheets.  

No comments:

Post a Comment