Monday, July 1, 2013

Cooking with Clarion River Organics

Cooking With Clarion River Organics

This is a blog about my experience as a member of the Clarion River Organics CSA (Community Supported Agriculture).  I am a new member of this CSA in 2013 though I have subscribed to other CSAs for about 15 years.  

Primarily this is a cooking and recipe blog to show you how I used some of the produce I received each week.  

First, let me just say a few words about how I cook.  Our family (my husband, daughter, son and I) eat a primarily plant-based diet (well, son not so much, but that is a different story!).  That means we eat only fruits, vegetables, nuts, seeds, and whole grains (though we do have a few "cheat" days each year on Thanksgiving, Christmas or other special occasions!).  We do this not out of some exceptional devotion to animals (although it is nice knowing that no animal died or suffered to be on our plate), but because we believe it is the diet that contributes the most to good health and helps us avoid disease.  So that said, you will not find any recipes here that include meat, poultry, fish, dairy, or eggs.  What we eat comes directly from the earth.  

Second, I probably will not show how I used every last item provided by Clarion River each week, not because I didn't use them or didn't love them all, but simply because I do not have enough time to document everything!  

Third, I realize I am getting a late start with this blog.  I have had quite a busy June preparing for and teaching both a bible study and Sunday School class.  As of this date, we have already received four deliveries from CRO!  I apologize that the first recipes will be outdated by the time you read them.  That is, you will probably have used up your first three or four weeks of produce by now.  However, I still hope this gives you ideas about how you might use things in future deliveries.

Lastly, I am a Christian.  I love the Lord Jesus Christ and my life is surrendered to Him. Thus, you may find that I sometimes make reference to my faith as I write just because it is such a huge part of who I am.  

What follows are my thoughts, pleasures, ideas, recipes and photos as I create beautiful, healthful meals with the produce received.  So I hope you enjoy the tales of my summer and fall Cooking with Clarion River Organics.

No comments:

Post a Comment