Thursday, July 11, 2013

The Beauty of CRO Letters


One of the many things I LOVE about the Clarion River Organics CSA are the very lovely personal letters that are included each week with our produce.  If you are not currently a subscriber (and you really ought to be!), each one is handwritten on notebook paper by one of the member families and then copied for the subscribers.  Each farm family will share a little about what they grow, how the season is going for them, what they are currently working on,  and what I love most of all - a little about the members of their family.  When you read their letters you understand that they work HARD - picking Swiss Chard before breakfast and squash blossoms at twilight before bedtime with seeding, planting, packing, hoeing, mulching, milking and a host of other chores in between.  The letters feel so much more personal because they are handwritten - a bit like communicating with an old friend.  Having been a "city slicker" all my life I have NEVER had a connection like this to a farming community.  All I can say is that it is wonderful to get to know these families in this way and I feel so blessed to be a part of CRO - "I thank my God every time I remember you" (Philippians 1:3).  I have saved all the letters.

No comments:

Post a Comment