Thursday, July 3, 2014

Romanesco!!!


Roasted Romanesco

I think I have a new favorite vegetable.  And what is really surprising, despite having eaten a plant-based diet for more than six years, it is one I had never heard of before.  Romanesco, where have you been all my life?

Since I had never eaten this (nor even seen it), I thought it best to take Katie's advice and roast it as she suggested in CRO Newsletter #3 (minus the parmesan cheese).  It was simply wonderful.  What did it taste like?  Well, by now you have probably cooked yours and formed your own opinion, but honestly the best way I can describe it is to say that it tasted like broccoli au gratin!  It was kind of rich and buttery and ever so slightly sweet.  I roasted mine at 425 instead of 400 so it took far less time (about 10-13 minutes for the entire head).  The only down side - it only served one because I ate the entire thing myself!  Happily, we received another head in the week #4 box.  Do not toss this one out.  It may look nubby, and dare I say ugly (sorry, Romanesco, do not feel bad - Kohlrabi is worse looking), it is simple to prepare and delicious.  It just may become your new favorite too!

Roasted Romanesco

1 head CRO Romanesco, leaves and bottom of stem removed 
1 tablespoon olive oil
salt and pepper to taste

Preheat oven to 425.  Cut romanesco into bite sized pieces.  Place cut-up pieces on a cookie sheet that has been lined with foil or parchment paper.  Toss romanesco with olive oil, salt, and pepper.  Place in preheated oven for 10-13 minutes.  It is done when fork tender and lightly browned.  Serves 1 if you are like me and want it all to yourself or 2 if you share better than I do.  

No comments:

Post a Comment